5 Names of India: India is a diverse country with a rich cultural and historical heritage. Over the centuries, India has been known by many different names, some of which are:
5 Names of India
- Bharat: Bharat is one of the most commonly used names for India and is derived from the Sanskrit word Bharata, which means “the cherished”. According to Hindu mythology, Bharata was an ancient king and the ancestor of the Kuru dynasty.
- Hindustan: The term Hindustan comes from the Persian word “Hindu” which was used to refer to the people living in the region of the Indus River. It was later used to refer to the entire Indian subcontinent.
- Jambudvipa: Jambudvipa is another name for India, derived from the Sanskrit words Jambu (meaning “rose apple”) and dvipa (meaning “island”). According to Hindu mythology, Jambudvipa is one of the seven continents in the world.
- Bharatvarsha: Bharatvarsha is another name for India, which is derived from the Sanskrit word Bharata and varsha, meaning “land” or “region”. It is believed to have been used in ancient texts like the Puranas and Mahabharata.
- Aryavarta: Aryavarta is a Sanskrit term meaning “the land of the noble people” or “the land of the Aryans”. It was used to refer to the northern part of India during ancient times, before the country became known as India.
To expand your knowledge, see the following articles:
What are the 5 names of India?
The five names of India are as follows:
It’s worth noting that the usage and popularity of these names have varied over time and across different regions of the country.